Thursday, January 22, 2009

Brewers Status Check

Well, it hasn't really been the most exciting of off-seasons for the Milwaukee Brewers. I think that I read too many rumors and got too many thoughts cluttered in my little brain and felt let down as every one of them passed without coming to fruiton. It's probably my own fault if I feel like the Brewers didn't do anything because I set my sights so high. But let's be honest, there isn't always going to be acquistions the magnitude of a CC Sabathia. So the big question remains... Did the Brewers, sans a blockbuster move, make themselves better? Let's take a look.

Starting Lineup - The starting lineup looks to have very few, if any changes from the one that took the field last year. The outfield will again be Ryan Braun, Mike Cameron and Corey Hart. I guess you can't say that the same guys are better or worse than themselves, but you would hope that Braun and Hart would continue to develop and get better. If they do, then you'd have to say it's better. Around the horn the Crew will be Bill Hall, JJ Hardy, Rickie Weeks, Prince Fielder. At least until Hall loses his job. I would think that Casey Mcgehee who they picked up off waivers from the Cubs will get a shot at the job along with Mike Lamb. Otherwise Lamb will be a solid left handed option off of the bench. One intriguing option out there still available is joe Crede. Sounds like he is willing to sign a one year deal to prove himself. That should perk the ears of the Brewers brass and maybe bring him in for a look. Maybe this will be the year that Rickie Weeks breaks out. Sort of like last year was supposed to be the year. Or maybe it's next year. In my opinion, it's now or never for Rickie. I like to believe it's now. Hardy will be solid again, Prince will be Prince. Say what you will but at 24 he's hit 86 home runs in the last two years. That's good. Jason Kendall is annoyingly powerless at the plate and isn't really that good at anything else in that department, but apparently we have to love him because of his work behind the plate. Whatever. He'll do until one of the kids are ready. But I don't really know if he's going to be any better as he continues to get older. Going him with again is a step backwards. In my opinion, you might as well take a step back with a young guy who will develop like a Angel Salome. Put Mike Rivera with him and I think the two of them could handle the job.

Bench - We've already mentioned Lamb and outside of him, you have Mike Rivera. Tony Gwynn stands right now as the fourth outfielder. And for all of you out there who still think he should be the starting CF, I will say this... You're wrong. He will never be and he should be traded to anyone who thinks he might have value. Word is starting to surface the Brewers are working on bringing back Craig Counsell as their utility infielder. That burns me to my very core. I thought he was useless and washed up last year and was so excited that the Brewers seemed to show no interest in bringing him back, until today! There's only so many washed up old, "veteran influence" guys you should have on your team, and I think the Brewers are dangerously close to crossing that line. I hope the bench includes Brad Nelson. I think he could be a solid backup guy if there is a second position he could play.

On position players alone, unless guys take a step forward this year, I can't say they've gotten any better. It's impossible to know which Corey Hart might show up, how much Prince might weigh or if JJ or Braun can stay healthy. If those are all postivies than I think they can still compete.

Later, pitching staff.

UPDATE: Since the last post, the Brewers have officially signed Craig Counsell and I have offically been disappointed once again. I understand he's good defensively and good in the clubhouse, but it'd be nice to sign someone who bats higher than .220. Yes, you could come back with, well, his OBP is .330 or something like that, but imagine if they looked for someone who batted around .260... imagine that OBP. You don't have to settle for him just because he's from the area. How many "veteran influence" guys do you need in one clubhouse. If Cameron and Kendall are as good as they say they are in that role, you don't need more. Talent wins, managers help build clubhouses. Get more talent. Bring up Escobar or something. Good God man.

3 comments:

Scottage Cheese said...

Nixon will be the fourth outfielder. Gwynn will probably not make the roster. He missed his chance and will have to hit a hot streak down in Nashville before he gets another chance.

Don't forget the Young Guns! Gamel, Salome, and Escobar will be getting the call through out the season. Escobar will be up first. This may be a transitional year. Not what you want to hear...but they will still be at or near the top. They need to work in the prospects. Not to mention Jeremy Jeffress, who is the ONLY solid pitcher in our farm league.

Last but not least, start monitoring Brett Lawrie in the minors. He will be playing in the BIGS by next September of 2010.

What do you think about Prince getting the 2 year deal for 18MM?

Kosi said...

I forgot about Trot Nixon and Chris Duffy. My insticts tell me that Duffy will make the team as the fourth outfielder and Nixon will start in AAA as insurance. Or it could be the other way around, my insticts were never that good.

I guess I really don't understand the Prince signing. Was it a deal guarantee that he was going to get 11.5 million next year in arbitartion assuming this year they settled in the middle around 7? What's so wrong with going through the arbitration process again next year? I understand where Prince is coming from on it, but I don't see the benefit for the Crew. Either way, it's good to see the big fella back and we'll get ready for a monster 2009!

Scottage Cheese said...

Counsell is a decent signing. The guy can play most positions in the infield. Which is sorely needed with the likes of Lamb/Hall & Rickie Weeks playing everyday. Despite his whoosey batting stats, the guy can field like pretty well. Low risk (famous words these days) signing is okay.