Sunday, December 14, 2008

Cameron for Cabrera, Mike for Melky

Rumors keep swirling that the Brewers are eventually going to trade Mike Cameron to the Yankees for Melky Cabrera. There seems to be stumbling blocks on the way to the trade regarding the Brewers either paying for some of the 10 million that Cameron is due next year or taking back some salary in return. The player who keeps coming up is "disappointing" lefty Kei Igawa of the Yankees. I say, go for it.


Igawa was solid in AAA last year after struggling with the Yankees. If nothing, it adds depth to the pitching staff, which is what they were hoping to get with the money they saved on Cameron. He's younger than the other guys they were looking to go after. It's less of a risk than to try to trust the health of John Smoltz, Randy Johnson or any other 40 something the Brewers are kicking the tires of. Who knows what getting out of the pressure of New York would do for Igawa. The Brewers can afford to try him as a starter, long man out of the pen or a reliever, and see where he fits. Pitchers moving from the American League to the National League have a good track record of improvement in numbers as well.


As far as Cabrera, what a perfect move for the Brewers. He is another guy who might thrive outside of New York. He's low risk with his salary around 500,000 and under club control for the next 3 years. They shed Cameron, his strikeouts, his salary, and, unfortunately his defense, but hopefully continued improvement from Ryan Braun and Corey Hart on the corners can compensate some for that loss.


I know this is the ultimate optimist view of this trade, but I can't help to take that view. It seems like a great deal to me. It could get even better if the Brewers could pawn Bill Hall off on them too...

9 comments:

Scottage Cheese said...

What I like about his (potential trade) is that we pick up a switch-hitter who bats better from the left (average is higher). Despite is down year this past season, he is a good pick up who needs a change of scenary. Now if only we could get Kennedy thrown in.

Kosi said...

I don't really think Ryan Kennedy is going to help us. He's way past his prime and his slider has really flattened out...

Scottage Cheese said...

I heard you the first time.
His passion for Tiger helps.

K said...

I have invoked my no-trade clause. My slider is fine. I will only waive the no trade clause to play for Jim Leyland so we can smoke in the dugout.

Kosi said...

In all seriousness O-Dogg, I wonder if the Brewers do take Igawa's contract, that the Yankees would send a prospect or two along. Maybe Kennedy, although they said no one on their 40 man roster was available, but things change

Scott said...

That's an area I do not know much about. Contracts in general. When I hear "arbitration", I think of a ban on alcohol. Okay, I'm not that clueless.

The Yankees want the Brewers to "eat" some of Cam's or Igawa's contract. That will not happen. Melvin almost bit of Cahsman's head when he proposed that idea after they jacked Captain Cheeseburger away from us. It will be interesting to see. I just hope that Melvin will have a Christmas present for us in the next week or so. Although giving us Soup back in 2006 was like a lump of coal.

Kosi said...

Now it's being reported that the Yankees are backing off of this trade for baseball reasons, not financial reasons. Can't blame them really. This is getting frustrating to follow. I remember the good old days when I just read in the paper after trades happened, instead of reading every rumor, opinion, and possibility of every transaction.

Kosi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scottage Cheese said...

Oh heavens. For some reason, if this doesn't happen, I will not be dissapointed.