Sunday, December 21, 2008

Newest Brewer?

Reports are starting to surface that the Brewers are close to a deal with former St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Braden Looper. I've silently wondered why the Brewers weren't looking at Looper as he seems like a cost efficient and effective pitching options for the Crew. His career 3.96 ERA looks promising and at 12-14 with a 4.16 ERA, definately qualifies for a solid back of the rotation starter

I'm wondering though, if the Brewers are looking at him as a closer rather a starter. He emerged as a closer for the Marlins back in 2002 and 2003, then had two solid seasons in that role for the Mets in 2004 and 2005 before he was replaced by Billy Wagner. He had a career high 108 strikeouts last year in 199 innings pitched. The Brewers never seem to lack creativity in what they sign guys for, or ask of their players, so I'm just venturing a guess on this, but it's an intriguing possibility. He could be had for much less that the 20-30 million that Brian Fuentes is going to get, and the Brewers wouldn't have to give up one of their coveted draft picks. I'd guess Looper can be had in a 2 year deal for around 12-15 million which is on the cheap for a pitcher nowadays.

2 comments:

Scottage Cheese said...

I do like this, if it actually happens. If we do use him as a starting pitcher, I don't know if he would be better than a Seth McClung or a Jeff Suppan. Perhaps as a closer or in a set up role would be ideal. People seem to forget the Carlos Villenueva will also be getting another shot at the starting rotation.

1. yo
2. manny
3. bush
4. suppan
5. McClung/Villanueva/Looper

I still think Fuentes has a pretty good shot at landing in Milwaukee. Melvin likes to over-compensate for this role in the past in paying Gagne 10MM and Cordero (offering) 40mm. We will see what all happens when Tex signs. That should be the opening of "flood gates" in free agent signing. Angels withdrew their offer, so....

My point is, the Brewers are still going to seek a bigger name then Nixon or a Looper. But I would like Looper in pinstripes on a Friday night.

Kosi said...

I think he will be a starting pitcher too, but the thought couldn't leave my mind.

I don't think Villanueva is going to start. He may be there 8th inning guy this year, or at least get the first shot.

I think it's looking less and less like Fuentes will be coming to Milwaukee. With Anaheim pulling out of the Tiexiera sweepstakes, that frees up cash for him to sign there. I think more likely would be Trevor Hoffman signing a one year deal to pitch in Brew Town. That would be fun.